Green Babaulti Shrimp (Caridina babaulti) - Tank-Raised!
The Green Babaulti Shrimp (Caridina babaulti) is a beautiful dwarf shrimp that is very rare in the United States. Most available specimens are wild-caught and inconsistent in coloration, possibly because they are actually not Green Babaulti Shrimp at all! This is not necessarily due to unscrupulous dealers, but more likely to misidentification and scientific research of this relatively new species. We proudly offer tank-raised specimens, virtually all of which are bright green!
The Green Babaulti Shrimp will breed in the aquarium and its fry can be raised. The fry are smaller and grow more slowly than many other shrimp species, so this species requires a mature, dedicated dwarf shrimp aquarium for successful rearing. There are conflicting opinions about whether the Green Babaulti Shrimp will breed more easily in softer or harder water, but there seems to be a growing consensus that they will breed in either as long as extreme conditions are avoided. Since this shrimp is a Caridina species, it will not interbreed with the many Neocaridina species that we offer.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
- Beautiful bright green coloration
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.8
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to India
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)