Ember AKA Fire AKA Dwarf Red Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The bright ember orange coloration of its semi-clear body makes this peaceful nano fish an extremely attractive candidate for the community aquarium.
The Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae), also known as the Fire, Dwarf Red, or Amanda’s Tetra is a strikingly beautiful tetra that is becoming increasingly popular among aquarists due to its elegant appearance, peaceful disposition, and very small size. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium.
The Ember Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Due to its extra small size, it can be viewed as similar to microrasboras as far as its compatibility with dwarf shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Ember Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is somewhat adaptable, but its natural habitat contains slightly acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. It should not be kept with overly boisterous tankmates that will outcompete it during feeding.
While not a picky eater, the Ember Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration and very small size
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 82.4° F (20° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.0-7.0, slightly acidic water is preferred
- KH: 3 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South American Araguaia system
- Average Adult Size: .6 - .8 inches (1.5-2 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .25-.5 inch (.6-1.3 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!