Wild Form Neocaridina Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) - Tank-Raised!
If you’re new to keeping freshwater dwarf shrimp, the Wild Form Neocaridina Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) is the easiest to keep. This species has been naturally developed into multiple red (cherry), yellow, blue, orange, green, maroon, dark brown, black, and white forms with multiple variations and combinations of each. While all of those varieties have proven to be very resilient and sustainable, the wild form is certainly the most durable.
The Wild Form Neocaridina Shrimp is very attractive in its own right. Its base color is typically a semi-clear tan to brown with a marbling of various natural brown shades, often with a very defined light tan stripe down its back. This shrimp will reproduce easily and constantly, replenishing and drastically growing its population, especially in aquariums with no predators of the shrimp fry.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
All of our orders of this shrimp will contain a mixture of breeding age males and females, so you will be able to immediately start a colony in your aquarium. If you’re new to dwarf shrimp and want to start with something that is very forgiving and easy to keep, this shrimp is your inexpensive gateway to many years of enjoyment!
- Great shrimp for beginners
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-raised in and indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2- 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)