Pinokio Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostrum) aka Rudolf Shrimp/Red Skunk Shrimp
The Pinokio Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostrum), also known as the Rudolf, Red Nose, or Red Skunk Shrimp, is a somewhat uncommon dwarf shrimp that is very unique in appearance. Its common name comes from this shrimp’s unusually long rostrum (nose), which can even be regenerated if broken. This shrimp’s coloration is a bright red and yellow stripe on its back and nose with an otherwise clear body. Unlike most shrimp, males are larger and more colorful than females.
The Pinokio Shrimp is a low form breeder whose fry begin a planktonic phase in brackish to full saltwater. Breeding in the aquarium is possible, but very difficult and extremely uncommon.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. It is also an excellent climber and jumper, so it must be kept in an aquarium with a lid or lowered water level. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
This shrimp usually does not tolerate the lower temperatures that most dwarf shrimp enjoy. It also requires a relatively high pH for optimal health.
- High quality coloration, great companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Generally peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with most plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 75° - 80° F (24° - 26.7° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 3 - 5 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: India, Southeast Asia
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!