Crystal Black Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis, A-S Grade)
Crystal Black Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis) are notorious for their striking black and white coloration that makes them stand out magnificently against any backdrop or substrate. We have offered these special shrimp in the past, and we are thrilled for the opportunity to offer them again to our newer customers!
These shrimp are A-S grade, meaning the intense coloration covers most or all of the body. Higher grades of Crystal Black Shrimp actually have more white coverage and less black coverage, and can be very difficult to keep as they are much more sensitive than these. Because of this, A-S grade CBS are the best starting point for anyone that wants to keep Crystal Black Shrimp. Also, though this is a matter of opinion, we personally find A-S grade shrimp to be the most beautiful.
We also have the same type of shrimp in red and white, called a "Crystal Red Shrimp." They will breed with these and produce either black/white or red/white offspring only, making an absolutely gorgeous-looking colony of striped shrimp.
- Features unique and striking striped coloration
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 70° - 78° F (21° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.2 - 6.8
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-raised in and indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/8 - 1/2 inch (.32 - 1.3 cm)