Black King Kong AKA Black Bolt Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis var. "Black King Kong/Black Bolt"), A-S Grade, Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we ship Black King Kong/Black Bolt Shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The panda-like coloration of this shrimp makes it a true standout in the planted or nano aquarium!
The Black King Kong/Black Bolt Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis var. “Black King Kong/Black Bolt”), is an increasingly popular dwarf shrimp. This interesting Bee variant displays bold black, white, and often highlights of blue coloration in a variety of patterns. It is comparable in care to all other bee shrimp varieties, such as Crystal Red/Black, Blue Bolt, and Tiger Shrimp. It is a highly attractive Caridina bee variety.
Another great characteristic of the Black King Kong/Black Bolt Shrimp is that it is a highly colorful and attractive companion colony to any Neocaridina variety of dwarf shrimp. The Black King Kong/Black Bolt Shrimp cannot interbreed with Neocaridina dwarf shrimp, so it will not compromise the genetics of breeding colonies of shrimp such as Cherry, Blue Velvet, Neon Yellow, Orange, Black/Blue Diamond, Chocolate, Green Jade, Snowball, and Rili shrimp.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will forage diligently in the aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content, preferably food that is designed for shrimp or other biofilm grazers.
Like most “bee” and “tiger” Caridina species, the Black King Kong/Black Bolt Shrimp requires very clean, calm water at all times. Most keepers of bee and tiger shrimp insist that reverse osmosis water is absolutely necessary for keeping and breeding this shrimp. Acidic water of a low pH is also a necessity, and it can be achieved with leaf litter as well as other buffering substrates and additives.
What We Like About This Shrimp:
- High quality coloration, great companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with ornamental plants
- Excellent scavenger
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C), though the lower half of this range is much preferred.
- pH: 6.2-6.8
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily. Our Spirulina flakes and BacterAE make excellent staple food products for these shrimp.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates . Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-bred but wild populations indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!