Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata) aka Yamato Shrimp
The Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata), also known as the Yamato Shrimp, is one of the most popular and durable freshwater aquarium species. It is a relatively larger shrimp than the many popular dwarf shrimp species and it also typically lives a much longer lifespan.
The Amano Shrimp, like most shrimp, lives in large colonies and spends most of its time foraging for food. It is possibly the most voracious eater of algae in the aquarium and is not only a very active, outgoing species, but it is also very useful as a solution to fighting algae issues. It aggressively feeds on most varieties of algae and, in appropriate numbers, will often eradicate even the most persistent algae growth on plants and other aquarium decorations. It is also very effective in eating decaying plant matter, such as shed leaves and needles of aquarium plants. However, it does not bother or damage live plants.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
- Among the most durable freshwater shrimp species
- Completely peaceful disposition
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C), although the middle of this range is more desirable
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily. Our Spirulina flakes and BacterAE make excellent staple food products for these shrimp.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Southeast Asia (Japan, Taiwan, Ryuku Islands, Fiji)
- Average adult size: 1 - 2+ inches (2.5 - 5+ cm)
- Average purchase size for Regular: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size for Large: 1 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)