Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi), Tank-Bred!
This beautiful shrimp is much like a red cherry shrimp in behavior and care requirements, but it is a beautiful, calm blue color that is particularly pleasing to the eye.
The striking sky blue coloration of these Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp adds elegance and a soothing ambiance to any aquarium set-up! These shrimp look stunning, clean your tank, and are a blast to watch! They are very active and breed quickly. These are the same species as Red Cherry Shrimp and Neon Yellow Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi, formerly Neocaridina heteropoda). Care requirements for Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp are essentially the same as Red Cherry Shrimp, and they are just as prolific.
We generally ship young adult shrimp that are already of breeding age (so around 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in length). They will grow up to 1 inch as fully grown adults.
These are freshwater shrimp and can live in almost any freshwater aquarium. They are very popular for planted tanks and community tanks, and many people use them in large aquariums for waste management and algae control.
Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp are fairly adaptable creatures that can live in almost any freshwater aquarium. Some of the younger shrimp have not reached their full potential yet and will grow into a bright blue color as long as they are comfortable in the tank. Lower intensity lighting and dark substrate also helps them achieve the brightest blues.
Looking for a darker blue? Clink the blue link for our Dream Blue Shrimp!
What We Like About This Shrimp:
- Beautiful sky blue coloration
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C)
- pH: 6.8 - 7.5
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily. Our Spirulina flakes and BacterAE make excellent staple food products for these shrimp.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates . Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-bred , but wild populations indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/4 - 3/4 inch (.64 - 1.9 cm)