LARGE Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) aka Singapore Flower Shrimp
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship this shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Bamboo Shrimp, also known as Singapore Flower Shrimp, are a truly fascinating species due to their lively personalities and their ability to quickly change color based on their mood and/or environment. Their colors tend to range from tan to dark brown, but once they become comfortable in their surroundings, they often turn a vibrant red or a beautiful cerulean blue! These are one of the largest freshwater shrimp, ranging in length from 1.5 to 3.5 inches.
These shrimp are known to reproduce only in saltwater (this is almost always the case). They are easy to keep in a home freshwater aquarium, as no special equipment is needed for them to thrive.
Bamboo Shrimp are peaceful and will get along great with any other critters in your aquarium, as long as the others aren't aggressive towards them. Like dwarf shrimp, they eat algae and leftover fish food (as well as invertebrate food pellets).
- Among the largest freshwater shrimp available
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Variable coloration and ability to change colors
- Temperature: 68° - 85° F (20° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous filter feeder and scavenger. Accepts most high quality flake foods and small filter foods. Weaning to dry food is more likely with groups of this shrimp
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. Can be kept singly but will also happily congregate in groups
- Origin: South Asia
- Average adult size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.75 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)