Pinokio Shrimp aka Rudolf Shrimp/Red Skunk Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostris), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship this shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are proud to offer rare tank-bred specimens of this unusual and magnificent species!
The Pinokio Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostris), also known as the Rudolf, Red Nose, or Red Skunk Shrimp, is a somewhat uncommon dwarf shrimp that is very unique in appearance. Its common name comes from this shrimp’s unusually long rostrum (nose), which can even be regenerated if broken. This shrimp’s coloration is a bright red and yellow stripe on its back and nose with an otherwise clear body. Unlike most shrimp, males are larger and more colorful than females.
The Pinokio Shrimp is a low form breeder whose fry typically experience a planktonic phase. Breeding in the aquarium is possible, but very difficult and extremely uncommon.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. It is also an excellent climber and jumper, so it must be kept in an aquarium with a lid or lowered water level. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
This shrimp usually does not tolerate the lower temperatures that most dwarf shrimp enjoy. It also requires a relatively high pH for optimal health.
- Unique elongated appearance
- High quality coloration, great companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Generally peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with most plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons, recommended 10 gallon minimum for a colony
- Temperature: 75° - 80° F (23.8° - 26.6° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- dGH: 4 - 15
- dKH: 1 - 10
- TDS: 100 - 200
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Aquatic Arts Snowflake Premium Shrimp Food & Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules Premium Shrimp Food are excellent supplements to the diet of any shrimp. Give them a try and your shrimp will thank you for the tasty treat!
- Natural Botanicals are a great way to boost the immune system of your shrimp and they will also provide lots of essential biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: India, Southeast Asia
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/4 - 1 inch (.6 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!