Zebra Thorn Nerite Snails have shells with a beautiful black and yellow spiral pattern and a gleaming, glossy finish. These lovely little snails are great for adding some shine and sophistication to your aquarium, but they also serve some very useful purposes. They clean algae off of glass, plants, and decorations, they eat hair algae, and they keep your substrate clean and the correct color.
Nerite Snails are widely believed to be the single best snail in the aquarium hobby for eating algae. They are totally safe with any fish, shrimp, or plants, and are completely peaceful. Nerite Snails require salt water to reproduce, so they will never overpopulate your aquarium (as some freshwater snails are known to do).
When you receive the snails, they will likely be pea-sized or a little smaller. Since Nerite Snails do not reproduce in freshwater, we send younger ones so you can enjoy them for their full lifespan. In addition to their unique glossy finish, the Zebra Thorn Nerite shells have small spikes protruding from the front of the shell that look like little antennae. They definitely add a cute factor to these snails!
When keeping any type of Nerite Snails, it's a good idea to make sure the water line in your aquarium isn't too high, as these snails tend to climb up beyond the water line. Additionally, Nerite Snails do not tolerate water with high nitrate levels. All freshwater snails are very sensitive to copper, so watch out for copper if you use tap water in your tank.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Among the most voracious algae-eating snails
- Do not reproduce in freshwater
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65° - 85° F (18° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: Nerite Snails can subsist on algae if there is enough present in the aquarium. Their diet can be supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Indo-Pacific
- Average adult size: 1/4 - 1/2 inch (.64 - 1.3 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/4 inch (.64 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!