Zebra Crayfish (Cherax peknyi)
$ 22.95 $ 29.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship Cherax crayfish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
As with all of our crayfish, the coloration of the Zebra Crayfish is EXTREMELY high quality - much higher quality than others on the market! This crayfish may TEMPORARILY change color and hide more than usual after molting, which may occur during shipping. If your crayfish is not colorful and you find a molt in the bag or in your aquarium, do not worry; this is normal and the bright color will return in 2 weeks or less.
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Variant" above before adding this crayfish to your cart. The variants we're currently offering are:
- 1 Zebra Crayfish - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (No sex specified. Most popular option).
- 1 Female Zebra Crayfish – 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (Young adult female.)
- 1 Male/Female Zebra Crayfish Pair – 3 to 4 inch Young Adults (Young adult male and female.)
- 1 B-Grade Zebra Crayfish - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (All of our “B-Grade” crayfish are simply specimens that are missing legs or claws. Loss of appendages is not permanent and happens commonly with crustaceans. They are completely healthy with excellent coloration and will completely regenerate lost appendages within 1 to 2 molts (about 2 to 3 months).
- 1 Juvenile Tank-Raised Zebra Crayfish - 1+ inch (A younger and smaller variant of Zebra Crayfish than our young adult specimens. This is a particularly hardy species and will usually grow well into adult size and coloration within 6 months. In the meantime, any customers who choose to go with a juvenile specimen can experience the excitement of watching their little crayfish grow!)
- Consistently excellent orange, blue, white, black, and brown coloration
- Less aggressive than many other crayfish
- Easy to feed
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 68° - 80° F (20° - 26.7° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Crayfish are typically very easy to feed since they are mostly omnivorous scavengers. However, Cherax species can sometimes be a bit finicky. In addition to various plant matter, we have been feeding all of our Cherax crayfish frozen shrimp that is chopped into manageable pieces after thawing. We highly recommend that our customers at least initially offer this diet to their Cherax crayfish. In time, it is very likely that the crayfish will also accept high-quality dry foods, though a varied diet is required for optimal health, coloration, and activity.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Can be aggressive/territorial with other crayfish, but is much less so than Procambarus species (such as the Electric Blue Crayfish).
- Origin: Papua, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 5 - 6 inches (12.7 - 15.2 cm)
- Average purchase size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 - 10 cm) or larger
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tankmates: Fast-moving fish (such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Rasboras, Guppies, etc.). While dwarf shrimp can be kept succesfully with these crayfish, caution should be exercised, as the crayfish have been known to catch and eat slow, sick, or particularly small shrimp. Cichlids can be aggressive toward crayfish and should not be kept in the same tank. Bottom-dwelling tankmates should definitely be avoided.