Yellow Top Swordtail Guppy (Poecilia reticulata), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Yellow Top Swordtail Guppy is a very unique variety that boasts psychedelic coloration and an unusual sword extension at only the top of its tail!
The Yellow Top Swordtail Guppy (Poecilia reticulata) is a very uncommon guppy variety that has a distinctive sword extension at the top of the tail in males. Males display phenomenal yellow and other pastel coloration as well!
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Guppies are best kept in small groups.
While not a picky eater, the Yellow Top Swordtail Guppy will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Vibrant multi-colored markings in males
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to northern South America.
- Average adult size: 2.5 inches (6.3 cm), females are larger
- Average purchase size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm) or larger
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!