White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
As far as aquarium fish are concerned, the White Cloud Mountain Minnow is as classic as it gets. This hardy, active fish is a staple of the community and planted aquarium!
The White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) is one of the most popular and durable fish species ever kept in the aquarium hobby. As its name states, this fish is native to the White Cloud Mountain area of China, where it shares its habitat with only a few other species such as the Paradise Fish (Macropodus opercularis). Though it is a very hardy fish and all specimens in the aquarium hobby have been tank-bred for decades, the White Cloud Mountain Minnow is considered endangered by Chinese officials, and it was even thought to be extinct in the wild for many years.
The White Cloud Mountain Minnow typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish and is neither bashful nor brash. Due to its extra small size and peaceful demeanor, it can be safely kept with dwarf shrimp, though as with most fish, it may eat some shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The White Cloud Mountain Minnow must be kept in schools of 6-8 or more, although much larger schools of 10+ are more ideal. Its natural habitat typically consists of shallow, clear water and lots of vegetation. While it can tolerate tropical water conditions as long as water quality is good, the White Cloud Mountain Minnow is naturally a subtropical species that will thrive in cooler water, which makes it an ideal tankmate for many ornamental shrimp, Stiphodon and other smaller gobies, and hillstream loaches, among many other species.
While not a picky eater, the White Cloud Mountain Minnow will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, Calanus, and cyclops will all be readily accepted. Some vegetable matter (such as spirulina) is ideal as well.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Vibrant red and gold coloration
- Very outgoing and hardy
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates including dwarf shrimp
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 57 - 72° F (14° - 22° C)
- pH: 6.0-8.5, acidic to neutral water is preferred
- KH: 2-15 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10-15 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to White Cloud Mountain, Guangdong Province, China
- Average Adult Size: 1.2 - 1.6 inches (3 - 4 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 inch - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)