Variegated Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri “Variegated Nana”), Bare Root
Variegated Anubias Nana is one of the most distinctive and sought-after Anubias varieties!
Variegated Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri “Variegated Nana”) is a rare variant of Anubias barteri “Variegated Nana” that is highly desired in the aquarium hobby. It is very distinguishable by its variable white coloration which provides a striking contrasts with its dark green coloration. Like virtually all Anubias plants, it is extremely hardy, undemanding, and can thrive in a variety of water parameters.
Care for Variegated Anubias Nana is identical to other Anubias plants. It is best placed in the middle ground and will look its best under low to moderate lighting. Excessive lighting can result in unattractive and pesky algae growth on its leaves. However, this algae growth can easily be kept under control in an aquarium with a healthy population of shrimp (especially Amano shrimp), snails, and/or algae-eating fish that will constantly graze on the algae without harming the plant itself. Most herbivorous animals will not harm Variegated Anubias Nana whatsoever, although some bio-fim/”wood-eating” Panaque genus plecos may “chew” holes in its leaves. Like many Anubias species, this plant is slow and steady in growth and does not seem to respond significantly to CO2 supplementation. It thrives best when attached to driftwood or rockwork. It can be planted in the substrate but its rhizome (roots) must not be buried in the substrate or it will rot and recede. It can also be planted emersed in terrariums, paludariums, and viquariums.
What We Like About This Plant:
- Perfect for low-light and low-tech setups
- Beautiful white and dark green leaves that are not seen in other Anubias varieties
- Extremely versatile and durable
- Thrives when tied/attached to aquarium driftwood and rockwork
- Requires low to moderate lighting and little to no supplementation in nutrient-rich water
- Temperature: 72° - 80° F (22° - 27° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 9.0
- Lighting: Low to moderate
- Origin: Nursery grown, but indigenous to Africa
- Aquarium placement: Middle
- Care: Easy
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!