Thunderbolt Crayfish (Cherax pulcher)
$ 15.95 $ 24.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship cherax crayfish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Thunderbolt Crayfish (Cherax pulcher) is a newly discovered and extremely rare species of crayfish native to Western Papua, Indonesia. With its remarkably eclectic coloration, this crayfish is without a doubt one of the most unique-looking crayfish in the world. This crayfish is also commonly known as the Pink Coral Freshwater Lobster, though true lobsters do not exist in freshwater. Deep blue, hot pink, emerald green, orange, white, and black are all distinctly shown on top specimens of this crayfish. A 7-color spectrum is not found on any other freshwater crayfish! The Thunderbolt Crayfish breeds easily in the aquarium, although the fry are extremely slow growing. In fact, many of our specimens have bred in our tanks at our facility!
This particular crayfish is relatively active and spends plenty of time exploring the floor of the aquarium in search of food. The Thunderbolt Crayfish is an omnivorous scavenger and will eat most any meaty or plant-based foods. This crayfish should not be kept with ornamental live plants as it will eat them at a surprising rate.
As it reaches adulthood, the Thunderbolt Crayfish will become relatively territorial, so it may behave aggressively towards other animals in the tank. It is important that ample hiding places such as rockwork, driftwood, or PVC pipes be provided. This is even more crucial when housing multiple crayfish in the same tank. Due to the size and waste production of this crayfish, a minimum 30-gallon, well-filtered aquarium is necessary for one adult. A larger aquarium of 55 gallon or larger aquarium can house multiple adults of similar size. This is a reasonably hardy animal, but regular water changes are vital to its optimal health. Other bottom-dwelling invertebrates and fish should not be kept with large crayfish. It is possible to keep mid- and upper-level, fast-swimming fish with the Thunderbolt Crayfish, but crayfish are opportunistic feeders and will generally eat whatever they can catch.
As with all of our crayfish, the coloration of the Thunderbolt Crayfish is EXTREMELY high quality - much higher quality than others on the market. This crayfish may TEMPORARILY change color and hide more than usual after molting, which may occur during shipping. If your crayfish is not blue/pink and you find a molt in the bag or in your aquarium, do not worry; this is normal and the bright color will return in 2 weeks or less.
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Variant" above before adding this crayfish to your cart. The variants we're currently offering are:
- Three color grades: High Pink, Regular Pink, and No Pink. The variants listed below are available for all three color grades.
- 1 Thunderbolt Crayfish - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (No sex specified. Most popular option)
- 1 Female Thunderbolt Crayfish – 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (Young adult female)
- 1 Male Female Thunderbolt Crayfish Pair – 3 to 4 inch Young Adults (Young adult male and female. Males are generally more colorful than females within any color grade.)
- 1 B-Grade Thunderbolt Crayfish - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (All of our “B-Grade” crayfish are simply specimens that are missing legs or claws. Loss of appendages is not permanent and happens commonly with crustaceans. They are completely healthy with excellent coloration and will completely regenerate lost appendages within 1 to 2 molts, which is typically about 2 to 3 months.)
- 1 Juvenile Tank-Raised Thunderbolt Crayfish - 1+ inch (A younger and smaller variant of Thunderbolt Crayfish than our young adult specimens. This is a particularly hardy species and will usually grow well into adult size and coloration within 6 months. In the meantime, any customers who choose to go with a juvenile specimen can experience the excitement of watching their little crayfish grow!)
What We Like About This Crayfish:
- Stunning blue, pink, purple, and emerald coloration
- Less aggressive than many other crayfish
- Easy to feed
- Excellent scavenger
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65°- 76° F (18° - 24° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
Diet: Crayfish are typically very easy to feed since they are mostly omnivorous scavengers. However, Cherax species can sometimes be a bit finicky. In addition to various plant matter, we have been feeding all of our Cherax crayfish frozen shrimp that is chopped into manageable pieces after thawing. We highly recommend that our customers at least initially offer this diet to their Cherax crayfish. In time, it is very likely that the crayfish will also accept high-quality dry foods, though a varied diet is required for optimal health, coloration, and activity.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Can be aggressive/territorial with other crayfish, but is much less so than Procambarus species (such as the Electric Blue Crayfish). Crayfish will typically eat whatever they can catch, but since they are slow-moving, they are not often able to harm fast-moving fish
- Origin: West Papua, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 5 - 6 inches (12.7 - 15.2 cm)
- Average purchase size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 - 10 cm) or larger
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tankmates: Fast-moving fish (such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Rasboras, Guppies, etc.). While dwarf shrimp can be kept successfully with these crayfish, caution should be exercised, as the crayfish have been known to catch and eat slow, sick, or particularly small shrimp. Cichlids can be aggressive toward crayfish and should not be kept in the same tank. Bottom-dwelling tankmates should definitely be avoided.
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!