Supernova Crayfish (Cherax boesemani) - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship cherax crayfish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This crayfish is breathtakingly beautiful and a personal favorite of ours, featuring colors that are simply preternatural.
As with all of our crayfish, the coloration of the Supernova Crayfish is EXTREMELY high quality - much higher quality than others on the market. This crayfish may TEMPORARILY change color and hide more than usual after molting, which may occur during shipping. If your crayfish is not blue and you find a molt in the bag or in your aquarium, do not worry; this is normal and the bright color will return in 2 weeks or less.
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Variant" above before adding this crayfish to your cart. The variants we're currently offering are:
- 1 Supernova Crayfish (Cherax boesemani) - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (No sex specified / Most popular option).
- 1 B-Grade Supernova Crayfish (Cherax boesemani) - 3 to 4 inch Young Adult (All of our “B-Grade” crayfish are simply specimens that are missing legs or claws. Loss of appendages is not permanent and happens commonly with crustaceans. They are completely healthy with excellent coloration and will completely regenerate lost appendages within 1 to 2 molts (about 2 to 3 months).
- 1 Juvenile Supernova Crayfish (Cherax boesemani) - 1+ inch (A younger and smaller variant of Supernova Crayfish at a lower price than our young adult specimens. This is a particularly fast-growing, hardy species and will usually grow well into adult size and coloration within 1 to 3 months. In the meantime, any customers who choose to go with a juvenile specimen can save some money and experience the excitement of watching their little crayfish grow!)
- Consistently excellent blue, orange, and brown coloration
- Less aggressive than many other crayfish
- Easy to feed
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 68° - 85° F (20° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 15 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality sinking pellets, plants, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted. Cuttlebone should be added to the aquarium to supplement calcium, which will aid in exoskeleton production.
- Social Behavior: Can be aggressive/territorial with other crayfish, but is much less so than Procambarus species such as the Electric Blue Crayfish.
- Origin: Western Irian Jaya, Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: 5 - 6 inches (12.7 - 15.2 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 - 10 cm) or larger
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tank mates: Fast-moving fish (such as Celestial Pearl Danios, Rasboras, Guppies, etc.). While dwarf shrimp can be kept succesfully with these crayfish, caution should be exercised, as the crayfish have been known to catch and eat slow, sick, or particularly small shrimp. Cichlids can be aggressive toward crayfish and should not be kept in the same tank. Bottom-dwelling tankmates should definitely be avoided.