Simpson's Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri hybrid) - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This incredible lyretail swordtail is a deluxe variety with intense coloration and elegant fin extensions!
The Simpson's Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri hybrid) is a rather uncommon and deluxe swordtail variation that has bright orange coloration. and dramatic fin extensions Unlike most swordtails, this variant has lyretail extensions in both sexes. Reliable sexing can be done by checking the anal fin area for the male gonopodium, a tube-like organ used in fertilization during spawning. Like most swordtail varieties, the Hamburger Swordtail is a variant of the wild Green Swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri), but it also has genetics of other Xiphophorus species (such as X. maculatus and X. variatus platy varieties) to achieve new color patterns.
Swordtails typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the male swordtails. Adult dwarf shrimp may be safe as well, some swordtails will attain a size large enough to consider such small shrimp prey. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Swordtails are best kept in groups, particularly groups where females outnumber males since mature males will constantly pursue females for breeding.
While not a picky eater, the Simpson's Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Uncommon variety with deluxe coloration and fins
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Very undemanding and perfect for beginners and experts alike
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 82.4° F (16° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Mexico.
- Average adult size: 2.5 - 3 inches (6.3 - 7.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm) or larger