Red, Gold, and Black Nerite Snail Combo
The Red, Gold, and Black Nerite Snail Combo contains an even quantity mix of the following rare species! These 3 snails create an extremely attractive color combination while providing diligent scavenging and algae eating services!
- Red Racer Nerite Snail (Vittina waigiensis)
- Gold Racer Nerite Snail (Vittina waigiensis)
- Midnight Black Nerite Snail (Vittina jovis)
Most of the nerite snails we offer have very similar care requirements and characteristics. They inhabit fresh and brackish water areas and cannot reproduce in freshwater. These snails are very effective algae eaters and will thrive in a mature aquarium that has plenty of algae and biofilm growth. Some nerite snails are initially finicky about eating dry foods, but most will come to accept them, especially with foods that are high in spirulina or other plant content. Fresh vegetables are typically accepted as well. Nerite snails are hardy in a mature, stable, well-maintained aquarium, but they are not as hardy as some other snail species in subpar setups. It is important to remember that scavengers such as snails do not consume as much oxygen as most fish, but they still contribute to the bioload of the aquarium and they should not be overstocked long-term.
It should also be noted that, while these snails can live in a wide variety of pH levels, they will live for much longer in alkaline water of over 7.0 pH. If they are kept in acidic water, they are more prone to experience shell erosion. Calcium supplementation (especially when using R/O water) is highly recommended for maintaining magnificent shell quality.
What We Like About This Snail:
- Completely peaceful
- Many variable, attractive colors and patterns
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
- Does not reproduce in freshwater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 71.6° - 87.8° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.5 – 8.0, although its lifespan will generally be longer in alkaline pH.
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 3 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily. Nerite snails are often more finicky with dry foods.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Philippines
- Average Adult Size: 1.2 inches (3 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inches (1.3 – 2.5 cm)