Platinum Double Red Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) - TANK-BRED!!!
$ 24.19 $ 26.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This beautiful dwarf cichlid is a relatively new color morph of the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides)!
The Platinum Double Red Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) is an incredible color morph of its parent species. Males are particularly colorful, boasting incredible bright red-orange coloration on the ample dorsal fin as well as the tail. Some specimens also have this coloration on the anal fin, constituting "triple red" status. The body is typically a yellow or white sheen, which is very unusual for this species. As with most dwarf cichlids, females are less colorful, but still have an attractive appearance and plenty of personality.
The Platinum Double Red Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Platinum Double Red Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium, although this fish thrives in higher temperatures than are optimal for many ornamental invertebrate species. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Platinum Double Red Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sexed, sub-adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are displaying very good coloration, but their color will be even more vibrant as they mature further!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful yellow and white body coloration with very bright red coloration on the dorsal and caudal fins
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Excellent for the planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 0 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Peru and Brazil
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.5 cm) for males, 2 inches (5 cm) for females
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)