Peppered Cory Catfish (Corydoras paleatus)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
Peppered Cory Catfish are known by the names Pepper Cory Cats, Blue Leopard Corydoras, Mottled Corydoras, and their scientific name, Corydoras paleatus. They are lovely, luminescent catfish that exhibit very interesting and often playful behavior. Their shimmering bodies are peppered with black and green spotting, accompanied by a silver belly. These catfish are fairly small (they grow to a maximum of 2.5 inches), so they are perfect for home aquariums.
These catfish are extremely easy to care for, as long as they live in stable water parameters with good water quality. They do best in tanks that have smooth substrate, such as sand or gravel, as they are bottom-dwelling scavengers. We sell these catfish in a school of 6 because they are known to do best in groups of 6 or more (plus, this makes them more likely to breed!). These fish are omnivores, so they will eat fish food flakes or pellets, as well as freeze-dried bloodworms, tubifex, frozen brine, and live worms. They are peaceful and totally safe to keep with other fish (as long as the other fish are peaceful too!), snails, shrimp, and live plants!
- Interesting and playful behavior
- Good scavenger
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22.2° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.8 - 7.0
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality flake, pellet and wafer foods as well as frozen foods such as bloodworms and tubifex.
- Social behavior: Peaceful; requires a school of 6 or more to thrive.
- Origin: Paraná River basin and coastal rivers in Uruguay and Brazil.
- Average adult size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)