Penguin Tetra (Thayeria boehlkei ) - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This uniquely marked tetra is one of the most interesting nano and planted tank species due to its striking appearance, peaceful disposition, and outgoing personality!
The Penguin Tetra (Thayeria boehlkei) is a very popular schooling community fish. The black horizontal striping on the body and tail make it a very distinctive fish and its lively, active nature adds lots of action to the aquarium. It is an ideal fish for the community and planted aquarium.
The Penguin Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but adult Penguin Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Penguin Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-bred, the Penguin Tetra is fairly adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Penguin Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
- Unique black striping on the body and tail
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable schooling fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22.2° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferable)
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)