Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish aka Japanese Ricefish/Killifish (Oryzias latipes "Pearl Galaxy") - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish is an elegant white variety of the Japanese Ricefish, which is one of the hardiest and most adaptable fish in the world!
The Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish (Oryzias latipes “Pearl Galaxy”), also known as the Japanese Ricefish or Japanese Killifish, is an extraordinarily adaptable fish species. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium. There seems to be some debate as to whether it should be considered part of the killifish family since it behaves similarly, but is not closely related to most other killifish. This mostly subtropical fish can freely inhabit all salinities of water, from freshwater to fully marine water.
The Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish typically occupies the middle and top level of the water column. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Due to its small size, it can be viewed as similar to microrasboras and blue-eye rainbowfish as far as its compatibility with dwarf shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. When keeping the Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish with dwarf shrimp, plenty of plants and cover are recommended. It is also best to introduce the dwarf shrimp to the aquarium before introducing the Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish.
The Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Not only will it display its best natural behavior and coloration in large schools, but it will also pay little attention to other species. This tank-raised fish is very hardy and adaptable, but it requires clean, well-maintained water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. As long as it has plenty of cover, it is an extremely outgoing species. It is very easy to breed in the aquarium. It has the ability to jump, so a secure aquarium lid is necessary.
While not a picky eater, the Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly omnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted. However, the Pearl Galaxy Medaka Ricefish also requires some vegetable matter in its diet. It will not bother aquarium plants.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful pearly white coloration and very small size
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
- Extremely hardy
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 75° F (18° - 24° C), although it is reported to at least temporarily tolerate an extremely wide temperature range of 44° - 104° F (6.7° - 40° C)
- pH: 7.0 – 8.0
- KH: 9 - 19 dGH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons for a school, although a larger aquarium is more optimal
- Diet: Omnivore. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Vegetable matter is also essential.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, and Vietnam
- Average Adult Size: 1.6 inches (4 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 – 1 inch (1.3 – 2.5 cm)