Peacock Gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda) - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Peacock Gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda) is an extremely beautiful fish that makes an excellent addition to the nano or planted aquarium. A member of the goby family, this fish is a fully freshwater oddball that will not only thrive, but will often spawn in the home aquarium.
We offer tank-raised specimens, but the Peacock Gudgeon is native to Papua New Guinea. This fish boasts neon red and blue vertically striped body coloration similar to the Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) but also has a neon yellow margin along the edge of all of its fins. Mature males have a noticeably rounded head. This fish does well and best displays its optimal color and social behavior in groups of 6-8 or more, although a pair can do very well in a smaller aquarium. It is a micro predator that requires some high-protein frozen foods (bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.) to thrive, but it will also typically accept high-quality dry foods.
The Peacock Gudgeon is a peaceful fish. Males will often posture with one another, but usually do not fight at length, especially in an aquarium with plenty of plants, rockwork, driftwood, and other hiding places. This fish is compatible with most other peaceful fish. It may prey on very small dwarf shrimp (especially their fry), but is otherwise peaceful with invertebrates and is certainly safe to keep with some of the larger shrimp that we offer, such as Amano, Flower, Green Lace, and Vampire Shrimp.
- Very active with peaceful disposition
- Spawns easily in the aquarium
- Easy to feed
- Atrractive, brilliant coloration
- Temperature: 72 - 79° F (22 - 26° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 5 - 10 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 15 gallons
- Diet: Will often accept high-quality dry foods, but also requires high-protein frozen foods
- Social Behavior: Peaceful. Males will posture with one another, but typically cause no harm
- Origin: Tank-raised. Indigenous to Papua New Guinea
- Average Adult Size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm), 1.5 inches is typical
- Average Purchase Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)