* For the safety of our animals, we now ship Panther Crabs exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This exotic-looking crab is fully aquatic, meaning it can always stay immersed in water and can therefore be kept in an aquarium!
Panther Crabs (Parathelphusa Panthernia) are fully aquatic crabs that originates from Indonesia. This is one of the very few types of crab that can live fully immersed in water at all times, so they are able to be kept in any freshwater aquarium. This crab would make an excellent alternative to a crayfish because they are less aggressive. Additionally, they do not develop huge claws like fiddler crabs or some other types of crabs do.
Panther Crabs come in various shades of orange and are speckled with dark spots that appear large on the body and diminish in size on the legs. This crab is known for its attractive coloration and lively personality, so it's sure to provide hours of entertainment!
We ship these out as 1 to 3 inch juveniles, but they can grow up to 5 inches in diameter including their legs and claws (their bodies alone grow to about 3 inches in diameter). Panther crabs are known for their lovely amber-orange coloration and markings, as well as their lively personalities. They are very active and do not spend all of their time under rocks. Crabs are not too commonly seen in aquariums, so this crab is sure to be a true showpiece in yours!
Panther Crabs are friendly with their own species and may be kept in groups together. They are very easy to care for and very hardy. They can live with most kinds of fish and other aquatic life, but they may go after dwarf shrimp or small snails (though this can be a good thing if the snails are unwanted!). Their claws stay fairly small, so only bottom-dwelling fish would run into trouble with them.
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- pH level range: 7.5 - 8.5
- Temperature range: 76° - 82° F (24° - 28° C)
- Water type: Soft to hard
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tank mates: Fast-moving fish (such as Danios or Guppies), dwarf shrimp (such as Blue Velvet, Amano, etc.). Cichlids can be aggressive towards crabs and should not be kept in the same tank.
- Additional notes: Panther Crabs need hiding places such as caves or plant cover. They tend to make frequent escape attempts, so it is best to keep them in an aquarium with a cover. Panther crabs are not picky and will eat all sorts of food, including invertebrate pellets and algae wafers. The also like bloodworms and will much on dead plant material. Calcium supplements (such as cuttlebone) are a good idea too, as the will help maintain the health of their shells.
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!