Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)
$ 6.95 $ 9.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Panda Garra is a very beautiful and peaceful biofilm and algae grazer that is very hardy and active!
The Panda Garra (Garra flavatra), is a very peaceful and beautifully-marked fish that is excellent for tanks with high water flow. In the aquarium, this fish is an interesting scavenger and grazer that is compatible with a variety of tankmates.
A member of the loach family, the Panda Garra inhabits subtropical and tropical mountain regions of Western Myanmar. It requires very oxygen-rich, fast-flowing water and will often swim directly against the current of a filter output or powerhead. Very fast water flow is a key to success in keeping this fish. Another key to success is a secure lid or canopy on the aquarium, as this fish is a skilled jumper and climber. It is compatible with other peaceful fish and invertebrates, although extreme caution should be used if attempting to keep it with dwarf shrimp.
The Panda Garra will graze on biofilm that grows on driftwood, rocks, and plants, so it is an excellent inhabitant for well-lit planted aquariums. It will also eat many fresh fruits and vegetables sparingly and should also be supplemented with meaty foods, both dry and frozen. Biofilm is essential to its diet, so the Panda Garra should not be added to new or biologically immature aquariums. Bacter AE and plenty of high lighting will assure high biofilm growth for this very entertaining fish.
- Interesting personality and beautiful markings
- Generally peaceful
- Grazes biofilm from surfaces
- Excellent for the subtropical to tropical aquarium
- Temperature: 71.6° - 80.6° F (22° - 27° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons for a small group
- Diet: Omnivorous biofilm grazer. Accepts high quality dry and frozen foods and needs a balance of both plant-based and meaty foods.
- Social behavior: Generally peaceful. Lives in loose groups but may fight with its own kind and similar fish in smaller tanks.
- Origin: Western Myanmar
- Average adult size: 2.8 - 3.5 inches (7 - 9 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)