Also known by the names Porcupine Snails and Horned Armor snails, these freshwater snails hail from Thailand and are truly impressive to behold. Their unique appearance would make them an attractive component of any aquarium. They are named for their tiered shells, which feature spikes protruding from their shells in a spiral pattern. Their appearance and behavior are comparable to Malaysian Trumpet Snails, but Pagoda Snails are considered more attractive and desirable among aquarium enthusiasts. Their shells are primarily rich brown in color with hints of amber and mahogany.
They are known to burrow themselves deep in substrate, but will show themselves frequently if tank conditions are ideal. They tend to prefer sandy substrate, and they have been known to munch on more delicate live plants such as Riccia, so be warned if you have a planted tank!
All of our Pagoda Snails are at least 1 inch long, which is rather large for a freshwater snail. They also tend to be almost as thick as they are long, giving them a large, bulky appearance. They are also very useful in keeping tanks clean because they eat algae and rotted plant parts. They will also eat any kind of food tablets or flakes, as well as vegetables.
Pagoda Snails are among the hardiest freshwater snails, and are less sensitive to water conditions than most other snails. They are virtually never found in local pet stores, making them a highly unique addition to any aquarium set-up!
What We Like About This Snail:
- Unique and attractive tiered shells
- Very rare
- Hardy and adaptable
- Completely peaceful
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.8 - 7.5
- KH: 5 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 5 gallons per snail
- Diet: Other than algae and waste, Pagoda Snails eat invertebrate pellets, flake foods, and cooked vegetables (such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber).
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Thailand, Myanmar (Burma)
- Average adult size: 1 - 2+ inches (2.5 - 5+ cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!