* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Orange-Finned Halfbeak is an excellent species for the planted aquarium and we are pleased to offer rare tank-bred specimens!
The Orange-Finned Halfbeak (Nomorhampus ebradtii) is a very interesting oddball livebearer that is excellent for the planted aquarium. This fish is a nearly exclusive surface dweller. It is a gregarious species that can be kept in though males can be competitive during territory disputes. During these disputes, the males will interlock mouths and wrestle with one another. This can lead to serious injury to one or both males in the confines of a smaller aquarium, but such skirmishes are typically brief and harmless in larger aquariums. This fish is completely peaceful with other species.
Care is fairly simple for the Orange-Finned Halfbeak. It requires a relatively spacious aquarium with plenty of cover to diffuse bright lighting. It is intolerant of sudden changes in water parameters, so smaller, more frequent water changes are recommended. It will thrive on a variety of high-quality frozen and flake foods and, if available, gut-loaded fruit flies. Insects are an important part of its diet. It will not bother most other fish, but it will eat any fish or invertebrates small enough to be considered prey.
The Orange-Finned Halfbeak is a somewhat nervous fish and it can easily damage its long lower jaw by bumping into the aquarium glass when startled. This can be prevented by positioning plant vegetation along the sides and back of the aquarium walls. The Celebes Halfbeak is a proficient jumper, so a secure lid or at least plenty of surface vegetation is necessary in the aquarium.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Interesting oddball surface dweller
- Beautiful gold coloration
- Small size, perfect for planted aquariums
- Very uncommon species
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 75° F (20° - 24° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0, though a maximum of 7.5 is ideal
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 - 30 gallons for a small group, though a larger tank is recommended for multiple males
- Diet: Frozen foods such as bloodworms, gut-loaded fruit flies, and/or high-quality flake food.
- Social behavior: Social with its own kind. Males will often fight excessively in smaller tanks. Keeping this fish in groups often reduces nervous behavior.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 2.4 - 3.5 inches (6 - 9 cm). Females are much larger than males.
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!