Nerite Snail Combo Pack: Tiger + Zebra + Assorted Horned Nerites
Nerite Snails are widely believed to be the best snail in the aquarium hobby for eating algae. They are totally safe with any fish, shrimp, or plants, and are completely peaceful. Nerite Snails require salt water to reproduce, so they will never overpopulate your aquarium (as some freshwater snails are known to do).
Each type of Nerite Snail's shells are diverse and totally unique! Tiger Nerite Snails (Neritina semiconica) have shells that are a lovely dark amber color with small black marking that form encircling stripes! Assorted Horned Nerite Snails (Clithon corona/diadema/sp.) are EXTREMELY tiny, shipping out as pea-size or smaller. Some Horned Nerite Snails feature a black and yellow spiral pattern, while others come in colors like brown and olive green. Finally, the Zebra Nerite Snails (Neritina natalensis) have gold and black zebra-like stripes running all the way down.
Tiger and Zebra Nerite Snails usually range from 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter. Most often, they will remain around 1 inch throughout their lifespan, but the occasional snail will reach 1 1/2 inches! Assorted Horned Nerites range from 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter, and will likely remain 1/2 inch when fully grown. Nerite Snails do not eat plants (only algae), so they are perfectly suitable for planted tanks.
When keeping any type of Nerite Snails, it's a good idea to make sure the water line in your aquarium isn't too high, as these snails tend to climb up beyond the water line. Additionally, Nerite Snails do not tolerate water with high nitrate levels. All freshwater snails are very sensitive to copper, so watch out for copper if you use tap water in your tank.
- Among the most voracious algae-eating snails
- Do not reproduce in freshwater
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
- Temperature: 65° - 85° F (18° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: Nerite Snails can subsist on algae if there is enough present in the aquarium. Their diet can be supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Northeast, East, and South Africa (Zebra Nerite), India and Indo-Pacific (Tiger Nerite), Indo-Pacific (Assorted Horned Nerite)
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)