Montezuma Green Swordtail (Xiphophorus montezumae), Tank-Bred
This unique swordtail variety is very colorful, hardy, and easy to keep. It is widely considered the "holy grail" of swordtails by many enthusiasts.
The Montezuma Green Swordtail (Xiphophorus montezumae) is a "wild color" type of swordtail that is unique in that its tail can extend to up to six inches! Swordtails in general have an extended tail, but this species boasts an exceptionally long tail. Males display a striking variety of green, maroon, and yellow coloration as well as spotting.
Swordtails typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the male swordtails. Adult dwarf shrimp may be safe as well, some swordtails will attain a size large enough to consider such small shrimp prey. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Swordtails are best kept in groups, particularly groups where females outnumber males since mature males will constantly pursue females for breeding.
While not a picky eater, the Montezuma Green Swordtail will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Surprisingly attractive "wild" coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Very undemanding and perfect for beginners and experts alike
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 82.4° F (16° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons for a trio
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Mexico.
- Average adult size: 2.5 - 3 inches (6.3 - 7.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2.5 - 3 inches (6.3 - 7.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!