The remarkably prolific, livebearing Malaysian Trumpet Snail is excellent for eating algae, scavenging, and sifting substrate! We are proud to offer specimens bred in house at Aquatic Arts!
The Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata) is an excellent scavenger and substrate sifter that is also a voracious algae eater that does not eat or bother ornamental plants. This hardy snail is native to Southeast Asia. The Malaysian Trumpet snail spends most of its time climbing aquarium terrain and burrowing in the substrate and it will reproduce in the aquarium.
Feeding and care is very easy for the hardy Malaysian Trumpet Snail. It requires the same maintenance and conditions as most tropical aquarium snails and should never be exposed to copper. It will eat nearly any high-quality dry and frozen foods, but it will also feed heavily on algae, biofilm, and decaying plant matter in the aquarium. This freshwater riverine species will thrive in a variety of water parameters, but its shell will reportedly gray and lose color in excessively acidic pH levels.
Please Note: This species is livebearing and is extraordinarily prolific. With proper care, its population can be managed and it is an extremely useful scavenger. However, it can explode in population and become somewhat of a "nuisance" when unmanaged, especially in aquariums where overfeeding occurs regularly.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Completely peaceful
- Unique, conical shell with variable coloration
- Will reproduce in the aquarium
- Safe with all plants and excellent for sifting substrate
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 86° F (22° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 3 - 5 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Southeast Asia
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!