Magenta Guppy (Poecilia reticulata var. "Magenta"), Male - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This rare guppy variety is extraordinarily colorful!
The Magenta Guppy (Poecilia reticulata var. "Panda") is a relatively new color strain that has only very recently become available.. Its vibrant coloration and outgoing personality make it a great addition and centerpiece fish for almost any community aquarium. While it is rare, the Magenta Guppy has quickly become a popular fish for the nano or planted aquarium, particularly due to its small size, which makes it an excellent cohabitant for adult dwarf shrimp. Females of this guppy are currently unavailable.
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Guppies are best kept in small to large groups.
While not a picky eater, the Magenta Guppy will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods supplemented with foods high in spirulina or other nutritious vegetable content. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried foods will all be readily accepted.
- Highly unique coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will readily accept high quality dry and frozen foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Northern South America
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)