Loma Fern AKA Süsswassertang/Sübwassertang (Lomariopsis cf. lineata), Loose Portion
This slow-growing plant forms into bushy patches that provide perfect hiding places for fish and shrimp, as well as their fry.
Loma Fern/Round Pellia/Süsswassertang Liverwort (Lomariopsis cf. lineata), is an uncommon fern gametophyte that, until a few years ago, was considered to be a liverwort or moss. The German terms “Süsswassertang” and “Sübwassertang” translate to “freshwater seaweed.”
This is a great plant to keep in any freshwater aquarium due to its low lighting requirements. It is a slow-growing plant that is capable of living in somewhat coldwater tanks as well as tropical tanks. It grows into bushy patches that are always a favorite hiding place for shrimp and fish fry.
We definitely foresee this plant becoming much more popular in the hobby in the near future. It is easy to attach to and begin propagating on rocks, driftwood, or aquarium substrate. With care, it can even grow along the walls of the aquarium. The plant is grown outdoors and may contain a few pest snails or terrestrial bugs (the bugs will not survive or reproduce underwater).
There are some reports that this extremely slow-growing plant does not respond well to some plant fertilizers, so supplement with caution!
We offer two portions of Loma Fern which can be selected directly under the "Select a Portion" option at the top of this page:
- Half Portion (3 x 3 inch) - This is a 3 x 3 inch section of Loma Fern, which is enough to start two to three patches that will grow out quickly. The moss ships as a loose portion/bunch in a plastic container.
- Whole Portion (5 x 5 inch) - This is a 5 x 5 inch section of Loma Fern, which is enough to start 4 to 6 patches that will grow out quickly. It is also shipped as a loose portion/bunch in a plastic container.
- Unique appearance that contrasts nicely with Java Moss and Willow Moss
- Can be attached to almost any aquarium décor
- Low light requirements
- Little to no supplements needed
- Temperature: 68° - 86° F (20° - 30° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5
- Lighting: Low to moderate
- Origin: Grown in Asia, indigenous to Southeast Asia
- Aquarium placement: Any
- Care: Easy