* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The L264 Sultan Pleco is one of the most distinctive "pleco" species. It is the perfect size for a medium-to-large tank and is guaranteed to be a standout...and we have rare, tank-bred specimens!
The L264 Sultan Pleco (Leporacanthicus joselimai) is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. It has become one of the most popular species in the family due to its coloration, disposition, and manageable size. Tank-bred specimens have recently become available, and we are proud to offer them!
Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Sultan Pleco grows to a size of 6 inches (15.2 cm). A standard 55-gallon aquarium is large enough for this fish. This species is generally peaceful with nearly all tankmates as long as the aquarium is not overcrowded with too many bottom-dwellers.
The Sultan Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is omnivorous, but it is not an effective algae eater. It is not known to eat wood like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film and algae on driftwood). The Sultan Pleco will not eat ornamental plants. Feed the Sultan Pleco a diet of meaty live, frozen, and dry foods as well as vegetables such as shelled peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber. Spirulina enriched dry foods can make a good staple diet, but variety is key.
What We Like About This Fish:
- A unique and hardy addition to the aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not eat ornamental plants
- Peaceful disposition
- Exceptional coloration
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 77° - 81° F (25° - 27° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 55 gallons for 1-2 full grown adults
- Diet: Omnivorous. Requires meaty foods supplemented with vegetable matter.
- Social behavior: Reportedly is more active in groups (in a tank with enough space)
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Rio Tapajos, Brazil
- Average adult size: 6 inches (15.2 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 2 inches (1.2 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!