L144a Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.) - LOCALLY BRED!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are now offering LOCALLY BRED juveniles of this rare bristlenose pleco variety! These fish are bred by an expert breeder and delivered directly to our facility, which eliminates the otherwise much more stressful and extensive inbound shipment. This is particularly beneficial with plecos, which feed and graze constantly.
The L144a Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp. “Longfin Blue Eye Lemon”), also known as the Bushynose or Bushymouth Pleco, is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. While many suckermouth catfish species have yet to be bred on any major scale in aquariums, the Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco is being propagated by a few commercial breeders. Its facial area becomes adorned with many bristle-like appendages beginning in sub-adulthood. Both sexes grow the appendages, but the growth and length is much more pronounced in males. This longfin variety is exceptionally elegant and unique with the combination of its facial “bristles” and extra long fins, which give it a “dragon-like” appearance.
A generally peaceful and hardy species, the Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco is an excellent, undemanding candidate for most aquariums. Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco grows to a size of only 4 to 5.9 inches (10 to 15 cm). This smaller size makes for a much more manageable (and less messy) pleco that can thrive permanently in a well-maintained aquarium as small as 30 to 40 gallons. Male plecos may be somewhat territorial with other males of their species, but disputes can usually be diffused by providing ample territory and hiding places for each fish. All other tankmates will be generally ignored, although it is possible that small shrimp fry might fall prey to the Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. However, some large-scale shrimp suppliers breed Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Plecos in the same pools they use for shrimp breeding.
The Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not known to eat wood heavily like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film on driftwood). The Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco will not bother most plants, but it will eat plenty of algae in the aquarium, especially as a juvenile. Feed the Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco a diet heavy in vegetable matter, including high-quality vegetable flakes, sinking algae wafers and pellets. It will also appreciate being fed some fresh vegetables such as shelled peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber. Occasional meaty foods such as bloodworms are also beneficial when fed sparingly. This fish eats constantly, so too much meat/animal protein in its diet can be unhealthy for the fish as well as the level of waste it produces in the aquarium.
*IMPORTANT* Please "Choose a Variant" above before adding this fish to your cart. The variants we're currently offering are:
- 1 Juvenile (.5 - 1.25 inches), unsexed
- 3 Juveniles (.5 - 1.25 inches), unsexed
- 6 Juveniles (.5 - 1.25 inches), unsexed
What We Like About This Fish:
- Incredibly elegant and unique appearance with brilliant yellow coloration throughout.
- The Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco is a very peaceful and hardy addition to almost any aquarium.
- At a maximum size of 4 to 5.9 inches, this is a very practical and manageable fish.
- This fish will not bother most plants, but it will likely help with algae control, especially as a juvenile. It will also scavenge and consume most uneaten fish food.
- The Longfin Blue Eye Lemon Bristlenose Pleco is an aquarium fish with a unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Diet: Omnivorous, but meatier foods should only be fed sparingly
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, but will socialize somewhat, especially during breeding.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America.
- Average adult size: 4 – 5.9 inches (10 - 15 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1.25 inches (1.3 - 3.2 cm)
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- pH level range: 6.5 - 7.5 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided.)
- Temperature range: 72° - 86° F (22° - 30° C)
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons