* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The L083/L165 Albino Sailfin Pleco is an excellent fish for the larger aquarium and is one of the large pleco species that grows to a still manageable size!
The L083/L165 Albino Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps), also known as the Leopard or Gibby Pleco, is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. It can grow to a rather impressive size, but not so large that it will outgrow a reasonably large aquarium. Its overall pink and yellow coloration is very attractive and distinctive. This species is a generally peaceful fish that is extremely hardy and capable of cohabitating with most other tropical freshwater species.
The Albino Sailfin Pleco is an excellent and resilient aquarium fish, but its eventual adult size necessitates a large aquarium. It is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It typically will not bother plants intentionally, but larger specimens may inadvertantly uproot plants as they move around the bottom of the aquarium. Durable plants such as Java Fern and Anubias are good choices for the aquascape of this species.
Male plecos may be somewhat territorial with other males of their own or similar species, but disputes can usually be diffused by providing ample territory and hiding places for each fish. All other tankmates will be generally ignored, although it is possible that small shrimp might fall prey to the Albino Sailfin
Pleco. This fish produces substantial waste, so regular water changes and powerful filtration are an absolute necessity for its aquarium. The Albino Sailfin Pleco is compatible in many aquarium setups and is often an effective algae eater, but it must be kept in an aquarium of appropriate size and must never be released into US waterways. Aquarists who keep this species must plan accordingly regarding the housing of this long-lived fish.
The Albino Sailfin will eat plenty of algae in the aquarium, especially as a juvenile. It should also be fed a diet heavy in vegetable matter, including fresh and blanched vegetables (cucumber, zucchini, peas, spinach, etc.), high-quality vegetable flakes, sinking algae wafers, and pellets. Occasional meaty foods also beneficial when fed sparingly. This fish eats constantly, so too much meat/animal protein in its diet can be unhealthy for the fish as well as the level of waste it produces in the aquarium.
What We Like About This Fish:
- The Albino Sailfin Pleco is a generally peaceful and hardy addition to the large aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not bother most plants, but it will likely help with algae control, especially as a juvenile. It will also scavenge and consume most uneaten fish food.
- The Albino Sailfin Pleco is an aquarium fish with a unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- It is compatible with a wide variety of tankmates, both large and small.
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 74° - 84° F (23° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.8 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 100+ gallons for an adult
- Diet: Omnivorous, but meatier foods should only be fed sparingly.
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, but will socialize somewhat, especially during breeding. Mature males may fight.
- Origin: Captive-bred, but indigenous to Rio Negro, Brazil.
- Average adult size: 15 - 18 inches (38 - 46 cm)
- Average purchase size: Juvenile: 2.4 - 2.8 inches (6 - 7 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!