Hair Thorn Nerite Snail (Clithon sp.)
$ 1.95 $ 3.49
This unique horned nerite snail is an excellent scavenger and algae eater!
The Hair Thorn Nerite Snail (Clithon sp.) is a lesser known nerite snail that is native to Indonesia. This peaceful snail has very thin "horns" or "thorns" on its shell and is a very attractive and useful algae-eating scavenger that is great for the nano or planted aquarium.
Most of the nerite snails we offer have very similar care requirements and characteristics, and the Hair Thorn Nerite Snail is no exception. It inhabits fresh and brackish water areas and cannot reproduce in freshwater. This snail is a very effective algae eater and will thrive in a mature aquarium that has plenty of algae and biofilm growth. Some nerite snails are initially finicky about eating dry foods, but most will come to accept them, especially with foods that are high in spirulina or other plant content. Fresh vegetables are typically accepted as well. Nerite snails are hardy in a mature, stable, well-maintained aquarium, but they are not as hardy as some other snail species in subpar setups. It is important to remember that scavengers such as snails do not consume as much oxygen as most fish, but they still contribute to the bioload of the aquarium and they should not be overstocked long-term.
What We Like About This Snail:
- Completely peaceful
- Unique shell design
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
- Does not reproduce in freshwater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.0 – 8.2
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inches (1.3 – 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!