Green Fire Tetra AKA Rathbun's Bloodfin Tetra (Aphyocharax rathbuni), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Green Fire Tetra is a peaceful fish with a mostly light green body with a vibrant red bottom half and tail!
The Green Fire Tetra (Aphyocharax rathbuni) is a peaceful, active fish for the community aquarium. This unique species is endemic to the Paraguay, Paraná and Uruguay river drainages in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay. This species is known for its distinctive color combination of light green and red. It is very adaptable, so it is an excellent candidate for a variety of planted and community aquarium settings.
The Green Fire Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with other peaceful, small fish as well as peaceful dwarf and Geophagus cichlids. Adult dwarf shrimp are possibly safe tankmates as well, but adult Green Fire Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. This fish must be kept in groups of at least 6-8 specimens.
While not a picky eater, the Green Fire Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Distinctive color and appearance
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and adaptable
- Thrives in a heavily planted aquarium
- Relatively uncommon tetra species
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 80° F (22° - 27° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 1 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a group of 6-8 adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina
- Average adult size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!