Goyder River Banded Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia trifasciata "Goyder River"), Tank-Bred!
$ 23.95 $ 47.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Goyder River Banded Rainbowfish is widely regarded as the most striking of the many beautiful geographic variants of its species and it is a spectactular, active fish for planted and community aquariums of appropriate size!
The Goyder River Banded Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia trifasciata "Goyder River") is an exceptionally colorful, natural geographic variant of its species, all of whose variants are native to northern Australia. It is a very active fish that lives in schools in streams and swamps that experience varied temperatures and water conditions, so it is an extremely adaptable fish. This fish is one of the best examples of its name, displaying an incredible variety of colors, especially as it matures to adulthood. As with most larger rainbowfish, both males and females are very colorful, but mature males are deeper-bodied with the most intense coloration.
The Goyder River Banded Rainbowfish is peaceful with most other fish species, although its size and activitiy can be intimidating to particularly shy fish. It is likely to prey on dwarf shrimp, but it is generally safe to keep with peaceful invertebrates that are too large to be considered prey. The most intense coloration will be displayed when this fish is kept in schools of 6 or more, including multiple males, in a planted, spacious aquarium to ensure that subdominant males are not overly harassed by dominant males. As with many rainbowfish, darker substrate will also often result in better coloration.
While this fish will easily accept high quality dry foods, it should also be fed plenty of small frozen or live foods for optimal health and coloration.
- Outstanding coloration that is nearly unrivaled by other species
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with most fish and many invertebrates
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Adaptable to a wide variety of water conditions
- Temperature: 75° - 91° F (24° - 33° C), though the middle of this range is most ideal
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0, though the middle of this range is most ideal
- KH: 8 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 55 gallons for a school of 6-8 adults
- Diet: Omnivorous. High quality dry foods will be accepted, but should be supplemented often with frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling, and should be kept in as large of groups as possible. Peaceful with most other fish and invertebrates too large to be considered prey.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Goyder River, Northern Australia
- Average adult size: 4 - 6 inches (10 - 15 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 inches (5 cm)