Golden Dwarf Barb (Pethia gelius), Tank-Bred!!!
$ 12.95 $ 13.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This lovely little barb is a spectacular candidate for the nano and planted aquarium. It can even be kept with dwarf shrimp!
The Golden Dwarf Barb (Pethia gelius) is a very small barb species that is an excellent fish for the nano or planted aquarium. It is known for its small size, faded black striping, and very peaceful demeanor. This fish is not as heavy-bodied or boisterous as many other barb species. It is compatible with most other peaceful species that inhabit similar water conditions.
The Golden Dwarf Barb typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. It can even be kept with dwarf shrip, although like most fish, it may eat some shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can make good tankmates. The Golden Dwarf Barb must be kept in groups of 6 or more, although larger groups are more ideal. Its natural habitat typically has slow water flow and high oxygen content. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present..
While not a picky eater, the Golden Dwarf Barb will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful gold coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65 - 75° F (18°-24° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0
- KH: 3 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons for a group of 6 - 8
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but native to India, Bangladesh, and Nepal
- Average Adult Size: 1.4 - 1.6 inches (3.5 - 4 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!