Gold Thorn/Horn Nerite Snail (Clithon corona/diadema)
This horned nerite species boasts beautiful gold and olive coloration, and it is a peaceful, active, and useful addition to almost any aquarium!
The Gold Thorn/Horn Nerite Snail (Clithon corona/diadema) is an increasingly popular nerite snail that is native to East and Southeast Asia. This peaceful snail has vibrant coloration and patterns on its shell, and is a very attractive and useful algae-eating scavenger that is great for the nano or planted aquarium.
Most of the nerite snails we offer have very similar care requirements and characteristics, and the Gold Thorn/Horn Nerite Snail is no exception. It inhabits fresh and brackish water areas and cannot reproduce in freshwater. This snail is a very effective algae eater and will thrive in a mature aquarium that has plenty of algae and biofilm growth. Some nerite snails are initially finicky about eating dry foods, but most will come to accept them, especially with foods that are high in spirulina or other plant content. Fresh vegetables are typically accepted as well. Nerite snails are hardy in a mature, stable, well-maintained aquarium, but they are not as hardy as some other snail species in subpar setups. It is important to remember that scavengers such as snails do not consume as much oxygen as most fish, but they still contribute to the bioload of the aquarium and they should not be overstocked long-term.
What We Like About This Snail:
- Completely peaceful
- Beautiful gold coloration
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger and algae eater
- Does not reproduce in freshwater
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.0 – 8.2
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be sparingly fed daily.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Indigenous throughout East and Southeast Asia
- Average Adult Size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .25 - 1 inch (.6 – 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!