Gold Severum AKA Gold Banded Cichlid (Heros cf. efasciatus FKA H. severus), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Gold Severum is a highly popular and relatively peaceful New World cichlid species whose coloration makes it a standout in almost any aquarium!
The Gold Severum (Heros cf. efasciatus, formerly H. severus) is a very popular mid-sized cichlid that has been kept and bred in the aquarium hobby for generations. It is a gold and orange variation of the wild form Green Severum, also known as the Banded Cichlid. This relatively mild-mannered cichlid is widespread throughout South America, where it inhabits mostly calm, deep waters and slow-moving waterways. As a juvenile, the Gold Severum is uniformly gold, but as it matures, it typically develops generous bright orange spotting across most of its body and fins.
The Gold Severum will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It does consume some plant matter, but it typically does not bother most ornamental plants. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful and semi-aggressive fish too large to be considered prey. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Due to the eventual adult size of the Gold Severum, it should not be kept with most ornamental invertebrates. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether. It should also be noted that the Gold Severum is typically more peaceful with tankmates when it is grown up with them from juvenile age rather than introduced as an adult.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Gold Severum. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering juvenile specimens of this magnificent fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful gold and bright orange coloration as it matures
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.20
- KH: 1 - 8 KH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for 1 fish, 125+ gallons for a group
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Vegetable matter (blanched spinach, shelled peas, spirulina) is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups as a juvenile. Both males and females can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous throughout the Amazon River Basin and other South American waterways
- Average adult size: 8 - 10 inches (20 - 25 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5 cm)