Gold Nigrita AKA False Upside-Down Catfish (Synodontis nigrita), Tank-Bred!
$ 23.95 $ 35.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Gold Nigrita Catfish is a very uncommon and impressive color morph of its species!
The Gold Nigrita Catfish (Synodontis nigrita), also known as the False Upside-Down Catfish, is an uncommon, medium-sized catfish species that boasts lovely golden coloration as it matures. It is a rare color morph of its species. This catfish is also known for its tendency to sometimes swim upside-down as well as its ability to squeak or croak when removed from the water. It is often very active, especially for a catfish, and it is compatible with a wide variety of fish.
The Gold Nigrita Catfish is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. The Gold Nigrita Catfish is generally peaceful and is compatible with most fish that are too large to be considered prey. It feeds on invertebrates in the wild, so it should not be kept with ornamental invertebrates in the aquarium. It will not bother plants. It is a small predator that produces a fair amount of waste and it is sensitive to declining water quality, so regular water changes and maintenance are a must. While it can do well when kept singly, it is much better kept in at least small groups of its own kind since it is gregarious.
The Cuckoo Catfish is an unfussy eater that will accept most meaty live, frozen, and dry foods. It should also have regular vegetable matter. A varied diet is essential for optimal health and coloration.
- Very colorful, peaceful, and hardy scavengar
- Attains a very manageable adult size
- Will not bother ornamental plants
- Unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Compatible with many peaceful and aggressive fish species
- Temperature: 70° - 82° F (21° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.8
- KH: 3 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 55+ gallons is necessary for a small group of adults
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will accept most live, frozen, and meaty foods of appropriate size. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Somewhat social and more active in groups.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous throughout much of Africa
- Average adult size: 7 inches (17.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)