Glowlight Danio (Celestichthys choprae), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Glowlight Danio is an incredibly colorful, active, and peaceful species that is a hardy and ideal fish for the community and planted aquarium, both subtropical and tropical!
The Glowlight Danio (Celestichthys choprae) is a very active, colorful species that is native to northern Myanmar. At an adult size barely exceeding 1 inch (2.5 cm), this peaceful schooling fish is an excellent addition to the well-decorated community aquarium. It is tolerant of a wide variety of water parameters, including temperature, so it is compatible with virtually all peaceful fish and invertebrates!
Like many typical danios, the Glowlight Danio is very active and should be kept in schools of 6-10 specimens, although even larger schools are more optimal. This fish is very hardy and undemanding in a well-maintained aquarium, but it needs a fair amount of space due to its active and somewhat nervous nature. Stress and nervousness are minimal when this fish is kept in a larger school. The Glowlight Danio is completely peaceful and rather social with many other fish species as well. It is compatible with almost any smaller, active, peaceful fish and will sometimes appear to school and interact with other species regularly. In nature, this species shares habitats with the Golden Zebra Loach. It will thrive in a planted aquarium with a good amount of decor such as rockwork and driftwood and its color will be most vibrant over dark substrate. It will not bother ornamental plants. It is compatible with any peaceful invertebrates that are too large to be considered prey, but it may prey on dwarf shrimp fry. This fish is a prodigious swimmer and jumper, so a tight-fitting lid or significantly lowered waterline is necessary to prevent startled or excited specimens from jumping out of the aquarium.
The Glowlight Danio is a micropredator in nature, feeding on tiny invertebrates such as insect larvae. In the aquarium, it is very unfussy and will accept most high-quality dry foods. However, it should also be fed a varied diet that includes live or frozen meaty foods of appropriate size.
- Beautiful coloration
- Very hardy and adaptable
- Form schools with each other and with other species
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
- Temperature: 61° - 79° F (16° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0
- KH: 1 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20+ gallons for a school of 6-12
- Diet: Micropredator. Will readily accept most dry foods but should be fed a varied diet including frozen and/or live meaty foods of appropriate size.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Myanmar
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.2 inches (2.5 - 3 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)