Glass Bloodfin Tetra (Prionobrama filigera), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Glass Bloodfin Tetra is a peaceful fish with a mostly transparent body with a vibrant red tail and fins!
The Glass Bloodfin Tetra (Prionobrama filigera) is a peaceful, very active fish for the community aquarium. This unique species is widespread throughout the Amazon River basin drainage and is known for its distinctive transparent body and deep red tail and fins. It is very adaptable, so it is an excellent candidate for a variety of planted and community aquarium settings.
The Glass Bloodfin Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe to keep with other peaceful, small fish as well as peaceful dwarf and Geophagus cichlids. Adult dwarf shrimp are possibly safe tankmates as well, but adult Glass Bloodfin Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. This fish must be kept in groups of at least 6-8 specimens.
While not a picky eater, the Glass Bloodfin Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Distinctive color and appearance
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Hardy and adaptable
- Thrives in a heavily planted aquarium
- Temperature: 73° - 82.4° F (23° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 1 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a group of 6-8 adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Amazon River Basin
- Average adult size: 2.4 inches (6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)