* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
These dwarf cichlids are one of the most colorful and exotic-looking freshwater fish you'll ever find!
German Blue Ram Cichlids are known throughout the aquarium hobby not only for their fantastically iridescent colors, but also for their charming and playful personalities. These little beauties feature yellow-green bodies dotted with stunning, electric blue markings. These fish also have a dark stripe that runs vertically through their blood red eyes, which is sometimes accompanied by more vertical stripes across the body. Some of these fish also have shimmering pink bellies. Their large, spiky fins are trimmed in red and black, and may make these friendly fish look much more intimidating than they actually are. German Blue Ram Cichlids range from 1 to 2 inches in length.
These cichlids hail from the river basins of Venezuela and Colombia, so their natural environment consists of warm and slow-moving waters. When keeping these fish, it is very important to maintain high quality of water in your tank and to keep it within the recommended water parameters. Like most fish, they do best in tanks that have live plants, rocks, or driftwood that provides them with cover. Under ideal conditions, German Blue Ram cichlids may mate with each other and will try to lay their eggs in a secure hiding place, such as a cave. If no hiding places are provided, they may become aggressive toward other aquarium inhabitants in order to protect their eggs.
Otherwise, German Blue Ram Cichlids are very peaceful and totally safe to keep with shrimp, snails, live plants, and other non-aggressive fish. We sell these fish in a group of 3 because they are known to do best in groups of 3 or more. These fish are omnivores, but they may be finicky about food upon being introduced to a new tank. It's a good idea to start them on foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms, and frozen or live mosquito larvae. Then, you can introduce them to easier foods like fish flakes or pellets.
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- pH level range: 5.0 - 7.0
- Temperature range: 72° - 82° F (22° - 27° C)
- Water type: Soft to medium hard
- Recommended Aquatic Arts tank mates: Dwarf shrimp (such as Blue Velvet Shrimp, Sakura Red Cherry Shrimp, etc.), snails (such as Mystery Snails, Sulawesi Snails, etc.), other non-aggressive fish.
- Additional notes: Relatively easy to care for as long as water parameters remain stable. They prefer to live in tanks with live aquatic plants for cover (such as java moss, baby tears, green cabomba, etc.).
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!