* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Flying Fox is a very active, beautifully-marked species that is a very good green algae and biofilm grazer!
The Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterum), also known as the White, Thai, or Siamese Flying Fox, is an omnivorous minnow species that is native to Thailand, Malaysia, and parts of Indonesia. The Flying Fox has long been popular in the aquarium hobby due to its coloration, active nature, and voracious appetite for green algae. It is a mostly herviborous fish that is gregarious as a juvenile, but is mostly solitary as an adult. As it matures, a distinct hierarchy develops within a group of this species, and stress and aggression are likely when the group contains less than 6 specimens in a very large tank.
Care is simple for the Flying Fox. It is tolerant of a wide range of water parameters, but it will thrive in an aquarium with ample filtration and moderate to high water flow. It is best not kept long-term in the very high end of tropical temperature range. This active fish is known to jump occasionally, so a secure aquarium lid is recommended. It will readily eat most high-quality dry foods rich in vegetable matter, but it should be offered fresh vegetables such as zucchini and cucumber as well. Live and frozen meaty foods should also be fed on occasion to keep the best coloration of this species.
As stated above, the Flying Fox is a generally peaceful fish, but it will prey on dwarf shrimp and other very small invertebrates. It does not seem to bother most snails, and we have found it to be generally peaceful with most larger shrimp (such as Amano, Flower, Green Lace, and Vampire Shrimp) as long as they are too large to be considered easy prey. The Flying Fox is a schooling fish as a juvenile, but can become more territorial with its own kind and similar-looking species as it matures. It must be kept in groups of at least 6 fish to avoid harrassment of subdominant specimens, or else it should be kept singly. Aggression can be kept to a minimum in a larger tank with plenty of territory and cover for each fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Voracious algae eater
- Will not eat ornamental plants
- Generally peaceful disposition with many dissimilar fish and peaceful larger invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Very hardy
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 79° F (20° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 50 gallons for a single adult, 120+ gallons for a group of adults
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry, frozen, and live foods as well as fresh vegetables. Should be fed mostly vegetable matter.
- Social behavior: Generally peaceful, schooling/shoaling as a juvenile. Can be territoral with its own kind or similar fish as an adult
- Origin: Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia
Average adult size: 5.5 - 6.3 inches (14 - 16 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 – 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!