Electric Blue Ram Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi var. "Electric Blue") - USA Tank-Raised!
$ 22.95 $ 24.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This relatively peaceful dwarf cichlid boasts incredible neon blue coloration and it is a wonderful fish for the planted aquarium!
The Electric Blue Ram Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi var. “Electric Blue”) is a very beautiful, tank-raised variant of its species. This particular variant is known for the incredible neon blue coloration that covers almost its entire body in both males and females. Rams and other dwarf cichlids are very popular among aquarists due to their vivid coloration, small size, and interesting personalities. Dwarf cichlids are much less aggressive than most larger cichlids.
The Electric Blue Ram Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Electric Blue Ram Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Electric Blue Ram Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering sub-adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are already displaying superb coloration. We are not currently offereing sexed specimens, but may do so in the future if possible.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful neon blue coloration across most of the body in both males and females
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 78.8° - 86° F (26° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 0 - 10 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20-30 gallons for a small group, but a larger aquarium should be used for a community of several species
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1.4 – 1.6 inches
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.2 inches (2.5 – 3 cm)