Electric Blue AKA Powder Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid (Rocio octofasciata "Electric Blue"), Tank-Bred!
$ 15.95 $ 17.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, also known as the EBJD for short, is quite possibly the king of the "blue gene" cichlids!
The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciata "Electric Blue"), also known as the Powder Blue Jack Dempsey, is an almost unbelievably bright blue color variant of its species. For a time, it was believed to possibly be a hybrid of the Jack Dempsey Cichlid and another New World cichlid species, but the current general consensus is that it is a natural color mutation that was isolated and developed within the original species. This variant is relatively new to the hobby, but it has now been selectively cultivated long enough to produce much healthier, consistent offspring than those that existed in the early years of development. The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey is typically more docile and attains a smaller size than "wild color" individuals of the species.
The Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but it does like to do a fair amount of digging, so plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. As mentioned before, this color variant is typically not nearly as aggressive as the typical "wild color" Jack Dempsey, so it is often compatible with other peaceful and semi-aggressive fish too large to be considered prey. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid. This fish can attain a considerable size of up to 8 inches (20 cm), so most ornamental invertebrates will eventually be considered prey. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Electric Blue Jack Dempsey Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering young specimens of this magnificent fish. They are already displaying superb coloration for their size.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful electric blue and black marbling across the entire body
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 86° F (20° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.2
- KH: 0 - 10 KH
- Minimum tank size: 30+ gallons for a pair.
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also required.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs are often aggressive to all other similar fish.
- Origin: Atlantic coastal Mexico and Central America
- Average adult size: Up to 8 inches (20 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5 cm)