Dwarf Red Coral Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus) - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Dwarf Red Coral Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus) is an extra small genetic mutation of the platy livebearer. Its bold, solid red-orange coloration makes it a very attractive aquarium fish. This is a very peaceful, undemanding fish that will thrive in most aquariums, especially the planted aquarium.
The Dwarf Red Coral Platy is compatible with most other peaceful aquarium species. Due to its small size, it can possibly be kept with adult dwarf shrimp, but caution should be exercised. It is otherwise safe with peaceful freshwater invertebrates. This fish is not a picky eater and it will accept a variety of high quality dry foods, but these should be supplemented with a variety of frozen foods as well. It will mostly occupy the middle and upper regions of the aquarium, and it does have the ability to jump out of the water, especially while in the early stages of acclimating to a new aquarium. As a result, a secure lid is highly recommended to ensure that this fish does not jump out of the tank.
Plants are not absolutely necessary for the Green Lantern Platy, but they will certainly be appreciated. All stem plants, marimo balls, and mosses are safe to keep with this fish. Its hardiness and easy care requirements makes the Dwarf Red Coral Platy an excellent fish for beginners as well as experts!
- Hardy and adaptable
- Vibrant red-orange coloration
- Small size, perfect for planted aquariums
- Peaceful disposition
- Temperature: 64° - 77° F (17.7° - 25° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.2 (though a maximum of 7.5 is ideal)
- KH: 10 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: High-quality flake foods and frozen foods such as bloodworms
- Social behavior: Shoaling, peaceful with most species
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Central and South America
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm) - females are larger than males.
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)